Wednesday, September 6, 2017

A Ten Craftsmen Production - Publication #1 - 09/06/2017


Story by
Doppelgänger Shockwave
 
________________________________________________________________
Page 1


When one is feeling weak and powerless, and there is not a single hero to turn to, what else can they do? Confined within the borders of the oil-rich state of Texas, someone is about to answer that precise question.
In the small industrial city of Sedosa, there lives a scraggy boy of 12 the locals know as Travis Cook. Travis isn't like other kids his age. He doesn't care much for sports, 'less you count women who ferociously pummel one another as they race around in a circle on roller-skates, or burly men who dress in colorful tight spandex while striking each other with metal chairs as sports. Those divine Earth creatures known as girls intimidate this lad, so don't bother asking him to participate in social gatherings as he finds them to be painfully boring.
You see, Travis is an introvert with his head in the clouds. If you asked Travis, he'd tell you that his interests lie in the realm of imagination where geeks and weirdos hide away from the rest of the world. Travis loves adventure books, comics, fantasy mags, schlocky movies, role-playing games, and Heavy Metal music. Travis uses these diversions as his only escape from the daily torment he receives at his school--Jones Junior High.
Typically Travis shrugs off the dark feelings he reaps from the bullies in his life, but today, however, he can no longer choose this path for his problems have become far too great a burden to carry. Mere moments ago, as Travis exited the local music shop with a brand new record, the kid was confronted by several schoolmates. They shoved and taunted Travis, knocking him to the ground. Travis tried to fight back as he attempted to escape their clutches, but he only managed to get himself a black eye, his record broken, and his favorite Pantera t-shirt burned with freshly lit cigarettes. Travis ran home to sulk in his room, but things quickly changed when he spotted a magick spellbook sitting on his desk that an uncle had given to him as a birthday gift. Revenge quickly filled his thoughts.
When all is said and done, this day will become the most terrifying moment in Sedosa's history. There is no turning back for Travis, for his pride must be avenged. This...is his story!
________________________________________________________________
Page 2

Lousy rotten jerks,” Travis spouted off as he kicked loose pebbles from the sidewalk. “So those scuzzbags think they're gonna get away with what they've done, do they? Ha! Damn fools! They'll all pay for their crimes against me! I may be a scrawny nerd, but by no means am I a pushover. Wait 'til they see what I've got in store for 'em tonight!”
Hey, I finally made it to the other side of town,” Travis proclaimed as he stood a quarter of a block from the corner of Dixon and H Street. “I can see the cemetery gates to the Corte County graveyard!”
Ut-oh,” Travis exclaimed. “Those clouds are lookin' pretty dark. I better hurry before the rain comes down!”

Without warning, a barrage of lightning bolts discharged from the sky. The lightning crescendoed in the distance--lighting the dark clouds in a fiery pinkish-orange hue. The sporadic streams of black body radiation were immediately followed by intense canon-esque echoes of rolling thunder. The whole world seemed to shake in fear.

Wow! That is one heckuva lightnin' storm off in the distance,” Travis remarked. “I sure hope I'm able to find my uncles' graves before those clouds unleash their fury!”

While standing on the street corner, Travis looked at his watch. The time read 5:20 PM. Travis hurried across the street as the wind picked up and the clouds darkened even more. Travis looked up towards the top of the double-door gate as he approached them. While staring up at the graveyard's sign Travis grabbed the right gate to open it, but something wasn't right.

Great! The friggin' gate has a stupid padlock on it,” Travis angrily shouted as he slammed the padlock back against the gate's rectangular-shaped iron bars. “Shoot! I guess I'll just have to climb the fence then. It doesn't seem all that tall from here.”
________________________________________________________________
Page 3

Like a scared squirrel being chased by a hungry cat, Travis scurried up the left side of the gate. As he reached the top, Travis saw that he was way in over his head as he had misjudged how tall the gates really were.

Jeezis, the drop looks pretty far from here,” Travis shrieked as fear raced through his veins. ”M-Maybe I sh-should for-forget about this an-an-and g-g-go home...GULP!

It was clear that Travis' nerves were shot. His palms sweated profusely from his quivering heart that was on panic-overdrive as he clung to the top of the double-door gate which stood 20 feet above the ground. An icy-chill ran up his back, but it was immediately stopped by a warm blanket of courage which Travis put around his mind.

NO! I can do this,” Travis declared. “I'll just have to make the leap for that lower tree branch there. Hopefully, I won't hurt myself...”

Travis leaped with all his might, but fate just wasn't on his side.

AHHH!!! UNGH! OUCH! Lousy stinkin' rose bush,” Travis shouted as he held his right hand covered in thorns from the prickly plant which surrounded the tree's trunk.

Travis was furious. He gave the bush some mighty kicks, but the plant was stronger and very determined to survive the thrashing, and so his plant thrashing did not last long when Travis became stuck yet again through his jeans and canvas sneakers.

GAAHHH,” Travis screamed in agonizing pain. What kinda idiot puts a rose bush around a tree trunk anyhow,” Travis clamored as he hopped around on his right foot.
________________________________________________________________
Page 4

Soon, other pains from the fall began to distract Travis' mind from the thorns embedded in his skin.

Unngghhh...,” Travis moaned. “My hip really hurts from missin' that stupid tree branch.”

Travis pulled down the rim of his jeans on his right side. It was immediately noticeable that a reddish-brown bruise with an outer yellowish hue was beginning to form.

Well isn't this just lovely,” Travis quipped. “Just what I needed tonight. Another sore spot on my body. Haven't I had my butt kicked enough today? Never mind all that, I've gotta find my uncles' graves soon, or this will all be for nothing.”

Travis pulled back his long kinky brown hair with his left hand before trying to carry on towards his destination. Travis didn't move forward too far, however, before it became all too clear that trying to walk in any direction would be entirely useless as the wind was blowing with far too great a force.

Frickin' wind,” Travis bellowed. “I've wasted enough time as it is, now let up for cryin' out loud!”

The wind briefly slowed down, giving Travis just enough time to run behind one of the big elm trees. In a rush, Travis shifted his left hand in and out of every pocket of his jean jacket trying to locate the elusive map that would lead him to his uncles' graves.

All right, now where'd I put that stupid map at,” Travis thought out loud as he searched his person.
Grrr...Where in the hell is it?!?! It should be right here in my jean jacket's inner left breast pocket! Wait a minute...Yep, there you are you pesky little devil you,” Travis proclaimed with great excitement.
________________________________________________________________
Page 5

Travis had forgotten that he'd placed the paper in his front left pant pocket. As Travis held the folded map up in front of his face, a gust of wind came along and ripped the paper from his hand. In a panic, Travis bolted for the lifted paper.

No, wait,” Travis exclaimed. “Come back here with my map, you lousy wind!”

In a sweltering panic, Travis searched for over an hour for the freed map. As day turned to night, however, the young lad began to feel as though he was being outwitted by the elusive piece of paper.

Stinkin' wind,” Travis pouted angrily. “Where have you taken my map to?”

Travis scanned the landscape again. Just as he panned right, between a pair of tree branches, Travis spotted the back of the map stretched against the right arm of a giant cross-shaped tombstone made of granite.

Yes,” Travis shouted with glee. “The map is trapped on the edge of that cross there! Time to zip like the roadrunner!”

Travis moved fast up the granite, but when he reached for the hand-drawn map it was just out of reach for his five-two stature. That, however, did not stop Travis from trying to reach the map.

Hold it...Almost there...Don't you move one...AAAHHH!!! UNGH,” Travis grunted as the air was stolen from his lungs when he landed face first into a pile of leaves next to the tombstone.

Lousy footin',” Travis exclaimed while he dusted himself off. “Dang it! It's gone,” Travis remarked as the map flew through the air once again. “Where'd it go? I really need that map!”
________________________________________________________________
Page 6

Travis scratched his head while he looked around, but the map was nowhere to be found.

Oh forget it,” Travis thought out loud. “I'm sure I can find their graves on my own.

Travis started looking for his uncle's grave markers, but the kid wasn't mindful of his surroundings. Just as he passed a mulberry tree, Travis' right shin hit the face of a heavily weathered gnome which the groundskeeper had placed inside the graveyard many years ago to give the place a more pleasant feeling when people came to visit their loved ones.

OWW! Stinkin' gnome,” Travis hollered as he rubbed his sore shin. “You're lucky I've got no time to waste, or I'd kick your butt right into that pond on the other side of the fence there!”

Travis stepped back a few feet from the gnome. Just as he was about to turn around, Travis tripped over a grave marker and fell onto his back.

WAAHH! UNGH! What in the hell is wrong with...Hey! There's one of the tombstones I was lookin' for,” Travis cheered. “I wonder, are the other four nearby? Mom didn't permit any of us to go to their funerals. She said we'd end up just like 'em if we did. Now surely they can't be too far away. Ah, there's the other four! Hehe! Silly me. Man, this is gonna be great,” Travis said with a joyous lilt in his voice. “Not only will I get to see my uncles again, but I'll have my revenge on those jerks for what they've done to me too!”

Travis took out the spellbook from his backpack and flipped through the pages until he found the one with the spell he needed.
________________________________________________________________
Page 7

And there's the page I was lookin' for,” Travis remarked with a smile on his face as he folded back the dog-eared corner of the page.

Travis took out a large jar of salt he stole from his mother's pantry. He spread the mineral out onto the ground in front of his uncles' graves in the shape of a triangle with a circle inside and a square dot in the center. The young lad then laid the open book on the ground below the base of the triangle and placed four small stones on the outside corners of each page to hold the book down while he read the incantation aloud. Travis then sat down with his legs crossed and his palms turned up.

With the elements of Earth, wind, and fire...,” Travis started the incantation. “...and let us not forget the power of rebirth, I ask the Gods known as Frigg, Shu, Lugh, and Adonis to grant me the power to revive the corpses of my five uncles known as the vile, the gnarly, the repulsive Deadly D's! This is your nephew, Travis Cook, talking to you, dearest uncles. I implore you all to come to my aid for I need your protection from those I cannot fend off by myself. Oh great Gods, won't you hear my plea? Give me the strength to rise the Deadly D's!”

A bolt of lightning struck the ground causing the land to split open, releasing toxic gases from the clutches of the compacted soil. Suddenly a mighty rumble caused the planet to shake and grumble. Birds squawked, and squirrels frantically chattered as the head of each uncle began to crown from their grave like a baby from its mother's womb.

It's workin'! It's really workin',” Travis gleefully shouted. “Rise up, uncles! Rise up and come to your nephew's aid!”

The uncles rose from their graves, but things began to go wrong almost immediately.
________________________________________________________________
Page 8

Ut-oh! Travis, you dummy,” the kid chided himself. “I can't believe I said the spell wrong! I was supposed to say each of their names, not the name of the gang! I am so screwed now!”

The cemetery quivered with gut-wrenching fright as the ground rumbled and hissed, releasing the screams of ghosts which zipped past the frightened lad. Before his very eyes, Travis' five uncles morphed into a singular freakish ghoul of a hideously deformed nature with superhuman size and equally proportionate strength.

Way to go, dunderhead,” Travis castigated himself. “You just made your uncles into a garish freak show! You sure are a dimwit sometimes,” Travis said as he continued to berate himself. “They will surely kill me for this boneheaded blunder!”

Travis needed to act quickly if he was going to survive his misuse of the incantation that his Uncle David had given to him shortly before they were all killed in a police shootout almost five years ago.

Uncles, please, don't hurt me,” Travis pleaded. “I'm so sorry for what I've done. I didn't mean to mess up the spell Uncle David gave me.”

The unholy abomination held their mid-section tightly and remained silent as they tried to deal with the pain of their resurrection.

Man, they must be really ticked off at me,” Travis said to himself out loud. “They're not sayin' anything! I better make this right, or I'm dead meat!”

The Deadly D's stumbled forward slightly, causing the ground to shake with a vigorous reverberation before letting out an aching bellow.
________________________________________________________________
Page 9

UNNGGHHH,” the rotting behemoth grumbled. “So much...UNGH...Pain! Kid, we're...UNGH...We're gonna...UNGH...Rip your friggin' soul...UNNGGGHHH...apart! ARRRGH!!!

The Deadly D's swung at Travis hard, but missed him and blasted through a tree trunk instead as the kid ducked and ran to hide behind another tombstone.

No, uncles,” Travis pleaded from behind the piece of granite. “I beseech thee! Please, bless me with your tender mercies! I can fix this, I promise! I can undo this mess if you just give me a little time!”

The Deadly D's continued to stumble and grumble as they held tight to their abdomen.

UNNGGHHH...Kid, where are you,” the unholy abomination moaned.
Now, where is that other spell,” Travis thought to himself as he scrambled through the spellbook.
“That's just friggin' great! I forgot it at home,” Travis said out loud as he looked over the edge of the tombstone to see where his uncles were. “I think I might've used it as a bookmarker in one of my comics. This is not going to end well for me at all!”
The pain...UNNGGHHH...It's unbearable,” the garish ghoul grumbled. “ARRRGH!!! Kid, you better find that spell...UNNGGHH...soon, 'cause relations or not...UNNGGGHHH...you're gonna die, boy!”
Wait, uncles,” Travis pleaded with his deceased relatives. “I think I have another spell here I can use to help with the pain I've caused if you just give me a moment to find it. Now, it is a temporary one, but it will help until I can find the spell that will undo the mess I put you all through.”
Get on with it already then,” the freak show shouted.
I'm hurryin', uncles! Dear God, where is it?”
________________________________________________________________
Page 10

The kid sped through the pages like a hamster running a marathon in its spinning wheel. Just as the Deadly D's were nearing Travis, he found the spell he was looking for.

Okay, I found it, uncles,” the lad shouted. “Oh great Eir, Norse Goddess of healin', I plead for your assistance tonight! I need your help to ease the pain and sufferin' of my resurrected uncles known to you as the Deadly D's!”

Bright and wispy star-shaped figures whisked around the Deadly D's like stir-fried veggies swirling around in a fire-hot wok. Quickly the figures disappeared back into the other dimension from which they had briefly escaped.

T-The pain...It's gone!”

The Deadly D's stood up straight, towering at an astounding eight feet over their meek five-two nephew. The behemoth stretched out its seven arms, three legs, and two heads like they had just woken from their blissful slumber.

All right, kid. Talk! Why did you raise us from the dead,” the graveyard monster growled at their nephew.
I need your help, uncles,” Travis replied. “I'm constantly bein' bullied at my school. Every day I wake up in a sweat, fearin' I'll be beaten up at school. When I roam the halls, I have to run to my next class, praying that my feet don't fail me. I'm always havin' to watch my back. Heck, I can't even go to the bathroom without the fear of havin' my butt kicked! They're constantly stealin' my lunch money; and today--just as I was leavin' the record shop--they burned my Pantera t-shirt, beat me up, and busted my newly purchased D.R.I. album!
Wait one blasted second...,” the freak show chimed in. “The Dirty Rotten Imbeciles put out a new album? What's it called, kid?”
________________________________________________________________
Page 11

It's called Full Speed Ahead, and I was able to obtain an early copy of it before its official release next month,” Travis replied. “I didn't even get the opportunity to listen to it. Uncles, I'm sick of the mess I'm in! Can you please help me? No one else seems to be able to, or even care to try for that matter.”
Not even your parents, kid?”
They couldn't care less what happens to me. I'm a mistake in their eyes. All my parents care about is their work,” Travis replied with a sorrowful tone.
Hmm...All right, kid. We'll take care of the bullies for you, but you have to find that other spell soon. Three hours from now the pain relief will wear off, and if we're not separated before the time runs out, we won't be able to rest in peace. If we don't get our peaceful slumber that's gonna be very bad for you. Understand, kid?”
Yes, uncles, I understand,” Travis replied with fear in his voice. “Here's a picture of those who beat me up today. They're at the fall school dance right now.”

The Deadly D's took the photo from Travis and studied the images in the class school picture. Travis had taken a red marker and circled their heads and wrote their names for his uncles to identify on the outer edges of the photograph.

As for the spell,” Travis said to his garish uncles while they observed the photo. “I'll run home and get it before the pain relief wears off. I most likely used it as a bookmarker in one of my comics. I just have to find which one it is.”
All right, kid,” the ghoulish freak show replied. “What's the name of the school, and what street is it on?”
Jones Junior High,” Travis replied. “It's over on H Avenue and 10th Street.”
Thanks, kid.”
It's Travis,” the boy replied.
Huh? Who's Travis, kid?”
________________________________________________________________
Page 12

I'm Travis,” the boy responded. “You guys never did call me by my name, you know.”
Oh...Sorry about that, kid,” the Deadly D's replied.
Grrr...It's Travis,” the boy shouted with great frustration. “I know I'm a kid, but it's Travis! T-R-A-V-I-S! TRA-VIS!”
Sorry, TRA-VIS...Jeez,” the unholy abomination said in a snide tone. “Now calm down. There's no need to get your Underoos in a bunch. Say, do you happen to know where we can get a motorcycle by chance?”
How in the heck should I know,” Travis sniped at his uncles. “I'm only twelve for cryin' out loud!”
Fine. Look, if you're gonna get an attitude with us, we'll just stomp your guts out, and then ground you under our heals until all that's left of you is a pound of dust!”

Travis got nervous and started apologizing profusely. He wasn't afraid for his life so much as he was worried his uncles would no longer help him if he continued his rough tone with them.

Okay, kid! Jeez, stop apologizing already,” the ghoulish apparition shouted. “Look, if you want our help, we're here, but you have to relax.”
All right, uncles. I'm sorry. I'll try to calm down,” Travis replied.
Good, now don't you worry about a thing. We'll just create a motorcycle ourselves from that junkyard over there by the tire shop. Now go find that spell. We have no time to waste.”


The Deadly D's lurched towards the junkyard just as the storm opened over the city. The rain came down fast and heavy, drenching the land and its inhabitants.
The Deadly D's dug through the scrap metal, gathering the parts they needed to assemble their equally freakish chopper. They grabbed a nearby canister of used oil and drew a large pentagram. The Deadly D's then placed the parts inside the pentagram and cast their spell.
________________________________________________________________
Page 13

To the great motorcycle Gods above--William Harley, Arthur Davidson, George Hendee and Oscar Hedstrom--we ask you to grant us this favor. Use your powers to construct these parts into one mighty chopper!”

The soiled ground shook and opened below the parts, consuming the pieces of metal and rubber. Suddenly a bright light shot through the dark clouds, lighting the ground ablaze. The once cold steel was now red-hot as the parts rose up through the pentagram. Metal and rubber began to mutate into something that resembled a fully functional motorcycle before the Deadly D's very eyes.
The garish freak show quickly hopped onto their chopper and sped through the heavy rain and traffic on their way towards Travis' school. The town's people looked on in abject terror as they watched the decaying body of the unholy abomination zip past them with breakneck speed. Even the local police were apprehensive towards the Deadly D's as they zipped past a couple of squad cars scanning the street for speeders.

What in the hell was that, Carlos,” one officer said to their partner. “I-I don't know, Bill, and I don't think I wanna know,” their partner replied.

Arriving at the school, the Deadly D's could not even hear their bike's engine roaring because the pop music being played from inside the gymnasium was so incredibly loud.
The zombified freak show parked their chopper under a tree on the east side of the school and took out the picture Travis had given them to study it once more. Darryl McVee was the first on Travis' list. Darryl was your typical jock. A whole lot of brawn, and very little brain. Last fall Darryl thought it would be a gas to trip Travis up while walking down a flight of stairs. That little incident broke Travis' right arm. Darryl was also the one who busted his new record today. That was the final insult for Travis.
________________________________________________________________
Page 14

The Deadly D's placed the picture back inside their tattered jacket and entered the side door on the west end of the school.
The school's halls were dark as coal and cold as ice. A stale odor of mildew from a previous flash flood permeated the air. The halls reminded the monstrosity of their time in prison on the island of Puerto Rico when they were busted for slinging dope in the early eighties for a Columbian drug-lord.
Just as they turned a corner, the Deadly D's could see a glimmering light gleaming against the cement floor at the far end of the hall from a door's small window. The gruesome freak show grimaced at the sight before them.
As they drew closer towards the light, loud pop music echoed against the walls, digging its sound waves deep into the rotting brains of the ghastly abomination with sonic ferocity. The Deadly D's ignored the throbbing pain as they crept closer and closer towards the door.
Quietly, the two-headed behemoth stood in the dark hall just outside of the door's window. One of their heads surveyed the room while the other stood guard for anyone else who might be coming down the hall. They quickly spotted Darryl dancing on the floor with Travis' second target on his list--Maria Jiménez.
Maria loves the color purple and proudly wears it on every inch of her petite body. Purple is known as the color of royalty, which fits very well with Maria's reputation for being a stuck-up beauty queen with a repugnant personality. Maria's the type who would steal her sister's boyfriend. That's how low-down Maria really is.
At the beginning of the school year, Maria tempted Travis. She tried to coax him into a date at the local skating rink by stroking the lad's ego. She crooned to Travis about how she thought he was so handsome, mature, and smart, and that she longed to be with a boy like him because he was the only real man in the bunch. Travis, however, was too smart to ever fall for her ploy. He fiercely rejected Maria, and would live to regret his decision for Maria is not the kind of girl who stands being turned down by anyone, especially not by someone like Travis.
________________________________________________________________
Page 15

Maria immediately retaliated against Travis by stealing his clothes while he showered after playing dodgeball in the school auditorium. When Travis went looking for his clothes, Maria grabbed him by his genitals and squeezed them as hard as she could until they turned red like ripe tomatoes. Travis' voice went silent while Maria forced him to walk with her. With his genitals still in her right hand, Travis was ejected into the school's swimming pool where the girls' swim team was practicing their breaststrokes before an upcoming meet. Maria's sharp nails lacerated the boy's genitals, causing blood to spill out and stain the chlorine water. Travis jumped out of the pool, screaming in agonizing pain as he ran to the principal's office. Travis was suspended for a week for indecent exposure.
Later Travis would discover that Maria was setting him up for a trap with her boyfriend Darryl that would have been even more humiliating, and would have possibly ended with a deadly outcome.
Maria and Darryl scare the other kids. They're both three years older than the others, and rumor has it they were both held back a couple of grades as punishment for having sex in the vice principal's office while they were in the middle of being reprimanded for skipping school. Another rumor has it that they were not expelled from school altogether because they have photographs of the vice principal at the local S&M bar having an affair with the head coach of the school's football team. Aren't rumors so deliciously vile and repugnant?
Anyway, out on the dance floor, Maria and Darryl's hormones were getting out of control as they performed the pelvic shuffle with the pop music that was being pumped through the DJ's thunderous speakers. The music quickly changed, and Maria hastily turned around to shake her nimble derriere like a washing machine on spin cycle against her boyfriend's pelvis as he overwhelmingly perspired with excitement. The school's principal, a well-educated short and feisty woman of sixty-seven named Joanne Weaver, tried to break the couple up, but her efforts went unheeded 'til a cup of water was thrown into Darryl's hot and sweaty face.
________________________________________________________________
Page 16

You stinkin' wench,” Darryl shouted. “What in the hell did you do that for?”
I told you two,” Mrs. Weaver replied. “Dirty dancing will not be tolerated at this dance. Now go home!”
We were not dirty dancin', Mrs. Weaver,” Maria chimed in. “We had our clothes on the entire time!”

In absolute disgust, the principal shook her head at the idiotic remark which had escaped Maria's mouth.

Dear Lord, please help these two unfortunate youths,” Mrs. Weaver thought to herself.
I said get out,” Mrs. Weaver shouted at the teens. “Move it, or so help me I will suspend the both of you and call your parents!”
Fine,” Maria pouted as she slammed her right heel into the floor. “We didn't wanna be at this lousy dance anyhow! Come, Darryl. Let's go someplace else where this bloated hag can't ruin all our fun!”

Darryl and Maria exited the dance floor on the opposite side of the gymnasium from where the Deadly D's stood. The ghastly creep show glooped their way down the hall to meet the despicable couple on the other side of the room. Just as the couple turned a corner, the teens clumsily slammed into the dangling third leg of the rotting behemoth. Darryl and Maria looked up with an uncontrollable tremble. A blood-curdling scream rang out from Maria's mouth while Darryl fumbled to even get his jaw to open and release the terror within. Darryl tried to grab Maria's right hand and run, but his feet were cemented to the floor.
Maria pulled away from Darryl and ran as fast as she could down the hall in the opposite direction. Making a hard right turn, Maria swiftly ran into the girl's bathroom and hid inside the last stall. She did her best to control herself as she quivered on the floor, but it was no good. Maria's nerves were completely shot.
________________________________________________________________
Page 17

Back in the hall, the Deadly D's stood before a petrified Darryl. A surge of energy suddenly overcame the teen. He tried to run, but the kid didn't get far from the rotting behemoth before he was picked up by the collar of his dress shirt.

L-Let me go, man,” Darryl stuttered as he struggled to break free. “UNGH! UNGH! Let! UNGH! Me! UNGH! UNGH! UNGH! G-Get offa me, ya stinkin' freak show!”
Stop yer strugglin',” the Deadly D's belted at the terrified teen. “You seem to enjoy terrorizin' those who cannot defend themselves. We're here to end your reign of terror. Darryl McVee, prepare to meet your maker!”

Like a demolition crane, the raging behemoth slammed Darryl's head into a nearby locker with tremendous force. Darryl's skull cracked open and widened like a coconut being struck with a hammer. Gore oozed from Darryl's head wound as the light in his eyes dwindled. After four or five blows, the unholy freak show twisted Darryl's already mangled body up like a pretzel before shoving his defiled carcass into the twisted locker. The Deadly D's slammed the locker's door tight, causing blood and other bodily fluids to ooze from the cracks of the teen's tin tomb.
In the girl's bathroom, Maria continued to shake and shiver. Slowly the bathroom door opened, and the hinges screeched like a cat whose tail had been held under the heavy foot of their merciless master. The sound of dry and swollen hinges echoed against the white tiles, filling the room with its haunting sound, penetrating deeply into the pores of Maria's bones with a profoundly paralyzing paranoia. Maria screamed at the top of her lungs as she clawed at her face in an attempt to escape her own skin. Maria covered her mouth with her left hand to silence the fear that was overpowering her. Tears ran from the corners of her eyes, mixing with the blood flowing from her fresh flesh-wounds, staining her skin as the mix flowed over her hand like a river that was flooded from a recent storm.
________________________________________________________________
Page 18

The hinges went silent as the door closed behind the Deadly D's. Maria frantically wiped the tears away from her eyes so she could get a better visual while she looked through the crack between the stall's door and frame.
The hideous mutation sloshed down the corridor between the stalls and the sinks with their grotty boots staining the cement floor.
The stench from the re-animated corpse was unbearable. Maria held her breath as best she could, but as the living corpse inched closer with each step, she couldn't bear the rancid smell anymore. Maria's eyes bulged, her nostrils flared, and as her stomach tightened, she violently spewed her last meal into the stall's toilet.
In a panic, Maria shoved over one of the ceiling tiles by the back wall and started climbing up into the crawlspace. Before getting halfway through, however, the Deadly D's ripped down the entire stall and yanked Maria face-down into the puke-filled toilet. Maria reached for the toilet lever, causing the rancid water to rise up over her head before it flowed away from her face. The Deadly D's pulled Maria's head back by her wet and messy ponytail and slung her towards the large mirror just above the row of sinks.
Maria spun through the air. As she shattered the mirror with her backside, Maria left three divots in the plate behind the broken glass. Deep cuts covered her backside as shattered pieces of glass fell onto Maria while she lay there on top of the sinks feeling disoriented.
The Deadly D's picked Maria up from the sink by her ankles and slung her face-first into the wall above the toilets. Maria's once pretty face was now a mangled mess. Teeth were busted at the gum line, her bottom jaw was shattered beyond repair, and her nose was smashed flat like a button. Maria could not talk, but her eyes pleaded with the monstrosity for her torture to end while she sat on the floor her in a pool of her own blood.
The Deadly D's picked Maria up once again, but this time Maria's instincts kicked in. She quickly clawed at the unholy abomination as she tried to get away. Maria attempted to scream, but only blood oozed from her mouth and nostrils.
________________________________________________________________
Page 19

The Deadly D's held Maria up by her right ankle and shoved her head into another toilet like she was a human plunger. The toilet was filled to the brim with soiled toilet paper, feces, and urine. Again and again, the Deadly D's plunged Maria deep into the dirty water. She thrashed about, trying to pull her head out of the backed-up toilet, but it was too late for Maria. A stool had lodged its way into her mouth, causing her to suffocate as water and urine filled her lungs through her nostrils. Suddenly Maria stopped moving.
Now that two of Travis' tormentors were disposed of, the living corpse moved back towards the gymnasium to look for their next target.
Samuel Weil, Sammy to his friends, and Sammy The Whale to his enemies because the kid was quite hefty, was a fourteen-year-old street punk who peddled drugs to the kids at school. Three days ago Sammy set Travis up by planting a packet of meth inside one of his comic books. When Travis went to sell a stack of his comics to the local shop, the owner discovered the drugs and immediately called the police.
Travis spent eight agonizing hours in a police interrogation room. He sobbed uncontrollably and pleaded with the police that the drug wasn't his, but the detectives in charge of the case wouldn't listen. Neither a lawyer, nor his parents, were ever called on his behalf. The only thing that cleared Travis of all charges was the fact that none of the fingerprints found on the bag matched his. Travis knew it was Sammy who planted the drugs inside his comic because he spotted Sammy snooping around his backpack during lunch the day Travis went to the comic shop. Travis didn't say anything, however, because he feared retaliation from the thug.
It didn't take long for the Deadly D's to find Sammy. He was supposed to be at the school dance with his girlfriend, a really hot dish named Wanda Babtist, but they'd gotten into another lover's spat.
________________________________________________________________
Page 20

Instead, Sammy decided to hang out with his four friends--Charlie Bokino, Joey Goldman, Johnny Chance, and Billy Bagg. They were all bad news just like Sammy, but his friends never paid Travis any attention, so they avoided appearing on his hit list.
The Deadly D's spotted Sammy with his friends as they hung out in a dark corner of the gymnasium on the far end of the room near the ladder which led to the rooftop. Sammy and his friends were getting bored, so they went up the ladder to smoke a joint. Travis' freakish creation staggered down the hall towards the other door. By the time the Deadly D's reached the ladder, Sammy and his friends were entering the rooftop. The boys were careless, and left the rooftop's door wide-open, giving the clunky re-animated corpse the upper hand.
The Deadly D's slowly poked their heads through the rooftop entrance, surveying the area to see where Sammy and his friends had gone to. At the other end of the roof, Sammy and his friends stood by the ledge, toking away with their backs turned towards the rooftop's only entrance. With the loud pop music emanating from the gymnasium through the roof's opening, the gravel shifting under the heavy feet of the Deadly D's was silenced by the gyrating tune, giving the living corpse the upper hand for a sneak attack.

Say, Sammy,” Charlie said with a cool swagger in his voice. “When are ya gonna hook us up with some more of that sweet crystal persuasion, buddy? I've been dyin' for some more, dude!”
Shut your stupid mouth, Charlie,” Sammy angrily replied. “You don't know who's around listening! Are you trying to put me in jail asking a stupid question like that?”
Whoa! Calm down, man,” Charlie exclaimed. “I didn't mean anythin' by it. I was just curious if ya had some, 'cause that stuff was blazin' good, bro!”
Yeah, Sammy,” Johnny interjected. “We could really use a bump, so hand it over if you got some.”
Is that so,” Sammy replied. “What about you two,” Sammy said as he looked at Joey and Billy. “Are you two just hanging around to flip your tops too?”
________________________________________________________________
Page 21

Well, now that you mention it...,” Joey and Billy replied in a snarky tone.
Sweet baby Jesus,” Sammy replied with great disdain. “I swear you guys are nothing but a bunch of leeches! Do any of you even consider me a real friend?”
Of course we do,” Billy said with all the sincerity he could muster.
Sure we're your friends, dude,” Charlie chimed in. “Even if ya never gave us another ounce of crystal again we'd still be your friends. I'd swear to that on a stacka bibles, bro!”
Precisely what they said, Sammy,” Joey blurted out while trying to look like he cared about his friendship with Sammy.

Sammy looked suspiciously at his friends like he wasn't sure whether or not he should beat the snot out of them just for the fun of it.
Sammy took another puff from his cigarette as his smile turned crooked. He lightly chuckled a bit as he took another puff. Before Sammy could say anything, however, a horrendous stench permeated the air. None of them, however, were wise to the fact that they were no longer alone.

Cripes, man,” Sammy exclaimed. “Where is that horrendous smell coming from? Did one of you mess your shorts or something?”
Nah, man, wasn't me,” Johnny replied.
No way, Sammy! I didn't do it,” Billy quipped back.
Only brainless twits shit themselves, dude,” Charlie spouted.
Don't look at me, man,” Joey said as everyone looked at him.
Bullshit,” Sammy charged back at the others. “One of you stink bags cut loose your sphincter, and that--well that's just not cool in my book, man!”
It wasn't us, I swear,” all three quipped back at Sammy.
Oh jeez, the smell's gettin' stronger,” Joey blurted out.
Dude, where in the hell is that smell comin' from,” Charlie inquired.
________________________________________________________________
Page 22

Before they knew it, the Deadly D's had Sammy by the back of his jean jacket. Sammy was sent screaming like a kamikaze pilot, plunging 45 feet before slamming face-first into the hood of Mrs. Weaver's white Cadilac that she had owned since 1972.
Sammy's body twitched uncontrollably for a few seconds before his heart finally stopped pumping blood through his mangled body.
Back on the rooftop Billy and Charlie tried to fight back against the monster, but their efforts proved to be fruitless. Growing tired of their assault, the ghastly behemoth smashed both of their heads together and threw them down onto Mrs. Weaver's car with Sammy. Johnny and Joey were long gone. They had run back down the ladder before Sammy had even hit the car.
The Deadly D's were beginning to grow tired of the hunt. Anxiety had set in, and the pain of their mutation was starting to make a return. All they wanted was an end to their torment, and to go back to their graves to rest in peace as they had done so before the incantation was cast. Forgoing Travis' two final targets, the Deadly D's went in search of their nephew, hoping that he had finally found the spell that would undo their torment.
Like a cat pouncing on a mouse, the Deadly D's jumped from the rooftop onto a nearby tree branch. Their immense weight, however, snapped the hefty branch and dropped them through the canopy to the ground below.
The Deadly D's quickly hopped on their motorcycle and revved the engine. It growled ferociously like a mother tiger warning off a predator after one of their babies. The ghastly apparition tore up the grassy mud-soft ground underneath the chopper's wheels and took off down the street to find Travis.
Zipping through traffic at 90-miles-per-hour, the Deadly D's hurdled themselves towards Travis' home. As they arrived, the living corpse parked their bike in the alleyway next to a large steel dumpster behind the house.
Travis was still in his bedroom, frantically sifting through his comics in search of the spell that would undo his uncles' torment.
________________________________________________________________
Page 23

The Deadly D's slowly made their way towards Travis' bedroom. The freak show stood there silently as the horrendous smell from its rotting flesh began to fill the room.

What in the heck is that smell,” Travis shouted. “Did someone step in the dog's poop again?”

The stench was almost unbearable for Travis. He grabbed a nearby wooden clothespin from a bag of potato chips and slid it over his nostrils. Travis soon returned to sifting through his comics to find the spell that would undo his uncles' torment, but he was interrupted by the thunderous voice of the Deadly D's.

Where's the spell, kid,” the ghastly behemoth barreled at Travis.
Uhh...H-Hey uncles--hehe,” Travis replied nervously. “W-Well... That was quick! So...uhh...Did it all go as planned?”
Stop stallin', kid,” the Deadly D's chimed back. “Where's that spell? We're starting to feel the pain, and we want to go back to our graves.”
Well...See...That's the thing--hehe,” Travis said as he kept pausing and searching for the right words to say.
Kid, don't tell me you lost the spell,” the Deadly D's shouted.
I didn't lose it, I swear, uncles,” Travis fearfully replied. “I simply...uhh...misplaced it. Yeah, that's it. Now where could it be...,” Travis said as his voice trailed off.

Travis quickly rummaged through his last stack of comics, shaking them vigorously--hoping the paper would fall onto the floor below. Travis was sure he had the spell but finding it was like trying to find a single needle inside of a mountain-sized haystack.
When his Uncle David gave him the spellbook, Travis didn't understand the power of the gift that he had received, and so he greatly misused it. He tore pages out of it, used the book as a level for an uneven desk, and even swatted a few spiders with it.
________________________________________________________________
Page 24

Travis frantically scrambled through his comics to find the page, but he couldn't move fast enough. It was all too apparent that his uncles were becoming very perturbed.

Misplaced it,” the Deadly D's questioned the lad in a thunderous tone. “We're sick of your melee-mouthed responses, boy! Now, where is that damn spell? You better find it fast before we rain our wrath upon your head!”
Hold on, uncles,” Travis frantically replied. “I think I just found it!”

Travis opened issue number 32 of Ghost Rider to reveal a folded piece of paper inside. He hurriedly unfolded the paper only to realize it was just an advertisement for a Fourth of July comic sale, and on the back was the map he thought he'd lost. That was Travis' last comic. It was all too real to Travis that his life was in serious jeopardy.

Oh great! My uncles are gonna kill me now,” Travis thought to himself. “Think, man, think! Where's that stupid spell at?

It was time for Travis to face his uncles' wrath. It was time for Travis to pay his dues to the Gods he called upon to bring Dennis, Daniel, David, Dale, and Douglas Carpenter back from the dead. But it wasn't all over for Travis just yet.

Oh no...I think I know where it is,” Travis whispered allowed as his eyes rapidly scanned the air. “Uncles, don't be mad at me, please,” Travis rambled allowed as his uncles walked towards him.

As Travis slowly walked back from his ghastly creation, he tried to break the bad news to them, hoping they would spare his meager life instead of stomping it out.
________________________________________________________________
Page 25

Uncles...hehe...You won't believe it when I tell you this,” Travis said nervously with the advertisement still in his right hand. “As you can plainly see, this is definitely not the spell that will return you to your original states. This? Well, this right here you see is nothing more than a mere advertisement from the local comic shop with the map I thought I had lost when I was lookin' for your graves...wooo boy! Uhh...ehh...I'm really up a creek without a paddle, aren't I?”
Kid, you're gonna pay with yer life,” the Deadly D's angrily shouted. “We told you to find that spell. We told you what the consequences were, and now that you've lost it, you'll suffer the greatest pain you ever felt in yer sad pathetic little life!”
Wait, uncles,” Travis said as tears ran from his eyes. “Please, don't kill me! I know where it is now! It's back at the cemetery! It has to be. Just let me go there to get it, and I'll make it right, I swear!”

The Deadly D's lunged at Travis in an attempt to grab him by his t-shirt, but Travis was too quick as he ducked and ran past them like a wild coyote evading traffic across a Texas desert highway. The clothespin quickly fell off as Travis tried to hide in the shadows of his closet. Hiding there, however, wasn't going to save the young lad.
The Deadly D's tore his room asunder. Travis shook underneath the pile of clothes, praying they would never find him. The closet door was ripped from its hinges, and Travis was yanked from underneath his pile of dirty clothes and thrown onto his bed. Travis screamed at the top of his lungs, but no one came to his rescue. His parents and sisters were off at the bowling alley, and his neighbors could not have cared less if someone was dying in their neighborhood.
Sick of hearing Travis scream, the Deadly D's launched their nephew into the air and straight through the opening of his second-floor bedroom window. Luckily for Travis, there was a nearby tree for him to cling to. The Deadly D's busted through the window frame with their hulk-ish fists and leaped for the tree as Travis climbed down through the branches with lightning fast speed.
________________________________________________________________
Page 26

Seeing that his time was running out, Travis leaped from the final branch 10 feet above the ground and ran as fast as his feet could carry him.
Within minutes Travis arrived at the cemetery. He grabbed a long steel pipe from a nearby construction site and pole-vaulted over the brick wall attached to the cemetery's gates. Unfortunately for Travis, the Deadly D's were not far behind. Just as Travis jetted across the cemetery's driveway, the rotting behemoth smashed through the double-door gate with their chopper. As the doors hit the ground, they made a loud boom which scared all of the woodland creatures into a frenzy. Travis barely escaped being crushed by the heavy iron frame as it narrowly clipped the edge of his sneaker's left heel, rolling him over a few times as he went flying through the air. Travis quickly got back up and continued to run for his life.

Wow, that was close,” Travis said allowed. “I gotta hurry and find that spell before they turn me into mincemeat!”

Travis stopped for a brief moment at a grave marker to catch his breath. He knew it wasn't wise with his uncles hot on his trail, but he was running out of energy from all the huffing and puffing he was doing.
The wind was picking up again, and the storm was beginning to roar and howl once more. Off in the distance, Travis could see a piece of paper plastered against a small rectangular-shaped tombstone. Precisely at that moment, a bolt of lightning zapped the paper. The current burned a hole through its center and charred the edges where the hole was made.

Nooo,” Travis screeched as tears ran from his eyes in frustration. “For cryin' out loud, don't do this to me now!”

Travis quickly ran to retrieve the paper. As he peeled it from the tombstone, he could see the spell was on it with several lines missing where the lightning bolt had torched the paper.
________________________________________________________________
Page 27

Oh man, I'm so done for,” Travis mournfully said allowed.

Out of pure desperation, Travis started spouting off the spell--hoping his memory would not fail him.

Spirits of the afterlife, this is your humble servant, Travis Cook,” the lad began the spell. “Ah, man! Get unstuck, you stupid brain! Uhh...umm...Dang it! I can't remember. I really can't remember their names!”

The Deadly D's had finally caught up to Travis as he broke down and cried knowing that things were not going to turn out well for him.

Uncles! I've found the spell,” Travis said as he fought to speak through his tears. “I beg of you. Please, don't kill me! I can fix this now!”

The Deadly D's said nothing. They just stood there and breathed heavily while squeezing their fists tightly as they menacingly stared Travis down.

Uncles, do you remember what the God's names were,” Travis asked of his silent creation.

The Deadly D's continued to say nothing. They knew who to call upon, but they were far more enjoying watching their melee-mouthed nephew squirm.

Remorseful Gods, I beseech thee,” Travis pleaded with the afterworld. “I really need your help. Give me the memory to remember the spell so that I may undo this snafu which created this monstrosity which stands before me!”
________________________________________________________________
Page 28

Rain began to pour heavily again. The remaining ink on the paper ran like butter sizzling on a red-hot skillet. Travis let out a terrifying scream as his uncles picked him up by the front of his t-shirt.

We've had it, kid,” Travis' ghastly creation shouted. “You've played with things you don't understand, and while that may partly be our fault for not explaining things when the spellbook was handed down to you, that is not a good enough excuse to stop us from tearing you apart! We're outlaws, criminals, bad guys who get off on hurting others. What? You thought those cops had no right to kill us? I guess you were never told. We raped their wives, and killed their children because they stole our drug money when they busted us with our crank in Puerto Rico! Now we're going to do the same to you!”

Just then the Deadly D's reached out to backhand their nephew, rolling Travis across the cemetery's grass. The Deadly D's picked Travis up by the throat and squeezed him hard--crushing his larynx and blood vessels.
Travis was fading fast as blood filled his lungs from the many busted blood vessels in his throat.
Without warning a gigawatt-sized bolt of lightning simultaneously struck the Deadly D's and Travis, causing them all to explode into human confetti.



~ End
________________________________________________________________

UPDATE - 10-10-2017:

One of my all-time favorite movie directors, Lloyd Kaufman, actually read my story, and this is what he said to me on Twitter.


By the way, one of the characters is named after Mr. Kaufman. Can you guess which one that is?